Monday, November 22, 2010

High on adrenaline

I am a very impulsive person, which I believe is more of a weakness for a person looking to become a successful manager. I can cite two instances.

One was with our Professor with whom i had an argument about why should we get printed hand outs and why not soft copies. When laptops are allowed, giving hand outs makes no sense and it shows our lack of concern. It again reflected my high score in Social Consciousness but the behavior was impulsive than planned. I thought had offended the Professor, until a small chat proved that he was more than wiling to help me if I could take this issue forward as a project. Around the same time, Ms. Crissie, who is an alum of AIM came in with her idea of making an AIM-Green Team. My collaborative skills have put me in good stead as we have a team of almost 20 people willing to work. Also, I individually went ahead and met the AIM-EMS head. He said, this will be 'historic' if staff and students would work together on such an issue.

Instance two is when I had a very loud argument with my LT member. He had a tendency of being loud in the discussions and was a bad listener. I had told that to him earlier. In one of the discussions I lost it, and started shouting at him and he also shouted at me. We went on for 5min, which wasn't in the best of spirits. Later, we shook hands obviously. Both of us knew that it was adrenaline rather than any dislike. I also realized, that a fight can make pals for you which sweet talk can never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment